Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cardiology called

Just when I'm having a fun, low stress day.  Apparently Jackson's Holter monitor from last week (it's like a portable EKG that he wears after cardiology visits) showed ectopic atrial beats.  He's never had that before, except in the hospital when he was having lots of SVT episodes.  He has Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome, which is basically an extra nerve bundle in his heart that sometimes makes it beat really really fast.  The first time it was around 300 beats per minute, and he almost died.  I'm working on that blog post.  For now he's under control.  Well, he was.  But it took a lot of time in the hospital, lots of med changes, iv's, trauma, and stress to get here.  So hearing that his heart is acting up is the last thing I want to hear.

Now we have to increase his propranolol and flecainide, his two heart meds.  We just had to reduce the Flecainide because the level in his blood stream was toxic and his heart was having side effects that put him at risk of an arrythmia that could make his heart stop.  This is just like what happened with the last med they tried.  It was either toxic or it didn't work.

On a funnier note, when I told the nurse I can't give the medicine in a bottle, because he won't take one, she said, "He won't take a bottle?! How does he eat, a g tube?"  No.  He's breastfed.  "OH!  I hadn't even thought of that!"

I don't know where people feel pressure to breastfeed from.  My cardiology office and the hospital would far prefer that I bottle feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment